Manual effort to backup using tapes vs online data backup
- Purchase tape drive and initial set of tapes
- At the end of each day insert tape into drive and run backup
- Usually the following day someone removes tapes and inserts a blank for the next backup
- Port the tape to an off site location
- rental space of secure off site location
Now let's consider the actual cost using man days.
Total: £(5.5 man days)
Ongoing cost per month
We haven't included duplicating tapes and storing each in a separate location. Add £(4 man days per month).
Total: £(11 man days per month)
or £(7 man days per month) leaving out tape duplication.
So how much is your time worth per day? Insert the figure into the totals above to work out the true cost of using tapes.
With online data backup simply pay a month fee according to the amount of data you want to backup. See typical pricing for a good professional service here.
Professional online data backup